The Haunted Side of Memphis
Do you believe in ghosts? Enjoy the darker side of Memphis and hear tales of the city’s haunted heritage, told by professional storytellers.
MEMPHIS GHOST TOUR
Exciting two-hour walking tour through the South Main Historic District, the city’s most notoriously haunted neighborhood.
Length: 2 Hours
Beale St. and BB King Blvd (at Alfred’s)
Beyond the rhythms of Beale Street’s blues lies a darker history of vice, voodoo, phantoms, ghosts and lost souls. Hear the eerie legends while seeing some of Memphis’ oldest sites. On this two-hour walking tour, you’ll see:
- The Orpheum Theater, home of “Mary,” who has haunted performances since 1921
- The John Alexander Austin House, a Victorian era mansion haunted by starcrossed lovers
- The notorious Ernestine & Hazel’s, a former brothel long recognized as one of the most haunted buildings in Memphis, home to several ghosts as well as a haunted jukebox.
FRIDAY NIGHT GHOST HUNT
A Backbeat Tours Exclusive
The Friday Night Ghost Hunt is a 2-hour special weekly walking and bus tour featuring exploration inside the Woodruff-Fontaine House.
The tour features:
- Exclusive after-hours access to the famous Woodruff-Fontaine House, a spectacular Victorian-era mansion and home to numerous known spirits, including Mollie Woodruff, who has appeared frequently to house docents and guests
- The old Morris Cemetery location in the historic South Main District. Disturbance of the former cemetery over the years may well be responsible for the area’s unusual paranormal activity
- Opportunities for ghost hunting in the notorious “Black Room” at Earnestine & Hazel’s
Ages 13 and older only. Offered every Friday night from March through November.
Show your Graceland Insiders card and get 10% off any tour.
Promo Code: TCB
“This was one of the best ghost tours I have been on! Our tour guide. . . was wonderful! She was informative, funny and a great storyteller! We had a lot of fun on the tour! Highly recommend! Even my 9-year-old who accompanies me on most ghost tours loved this one by far!”
Anonymous, March 2021